Wednesday Evening Reception
Plan to arrive early for the 2018 Western to join friends and colleagues for barbeque and local Boulevard beer on Wednesday, January 17! The 2018 Western will kick off with this fun, free evening – though spots are limited so you must reserve one of the free, limited tickets when you register for the 2018 Western!
Complimentary shuttles will take 2018 Western participants to Boulevard Brewing Company for the reception. Enjoy local Boulevard beer and barbeque while overlooking the Kansas City skyline as we kick off the Western and our 2018 theme – Plants With Purpose! Short, inspirational presentations will highlight the economic, environmental, and quality of life benefits of plants. Industry leaders will be honored for their service and dedication to our industry with the WNLA Awards. We hope you’ll make plans to join us for this evening of fun, food, camaraderie and celebration! You’ll even go home with your own custom pint glass!
We'll celebrate our Plants With Purpose theme with a series of fast-paced presentations!
- Video Introduction by Dr. Charlie Hall, Texas A&M University
- Dr. Cathie Lavis, Kansas State University • Economic Benefits presentation
- Dr. Cathie Lavis has a diverse background that combines years of industry experience with theoretical knowledge. She is an Associate Professor with a teaching and extension specialist appointment in the areas of sustainable landscape maintenance, arboriculture and horticultural irrigation, in the Department of Horticulture and Natural Resources at Kansas State University. She has been recognized with several national and universities awards for teaching and advising undergraduates. In addition to teaching, she interacts with students in various capacities outside the classroom as co-advisor to the Horticulture Club and co-coach for the Landscape Contracting Team for the National Collegiate Landscape Competition event held each spring. This event is host to the largest green industry career fair in the country and 28 competitive events, typically the team places in the top 15 out of 60+ schools, often with K-State students placing in the top 3 in their competitive event.
- Greenscape Gardens • Environmental Benefits presentation
- Cale Doornbos, SWT Design • Quality of Life Benefits presentation
Presentation of the 2018 Western Awards
Western Legend Award
Western Employee of the Year Award
Western Outstanding State Association Leader Awards
NEW! Western Emerging Leader Award
Thanks to the WNLA members who are sponsoring the reception!
- Ball Horticultural Company
- Greenleaf Nursery Company
- Greenscape Gardens Nursery & Garden Center
- Home Nursery