Horticulture students from colleges and universities in the Midwest are invited to join the Western Nursery & Landscape Association's Student Advisory Committee and the Student Volunteer Program.
The Student Advisory Committee for the Western Nursery & Landscape Association was established in 2016 to strengthen the ties between the association, the industry and Midwestern horticulture students. Each committee member serves a 2-year term on the Committee. Originally the committee included 10 of the top students in the Midwest. For 2019 the WNLA is pleased to announce that 20 top students will be selected.
The Student Advisory Committee is charged with developing ideas and recommendations on educational programming, networking opportunities and other member benefits that would better serve WNLA’s student members now and into the start of their horticulture careers. Following a Committee meeting, the Student Advisory Committee will meet with the WNLA Board of Directors to share their ideas and recommendations and will work together with the Board and with WNLA Staff to develop and implement these initiatives.
Sven Svenson, Ph.D. of Southeast Missouri State University, moderates the Student Advisory Committee discussion at the annual Western. Carrie Coyne, St Louis Community College Horticulture Program Facilitator, joins as a moderator with the expansion of the Student Advisory Committee from 10 students to 20 students.
The 2019 Western Student Advisory Committee is below.
- Conner Evers, Iowa State
- Markis Hill, Kansas State
- Kristie Vaughn, Kansas State
- Rachael Billingsley, Oklahoma State
- Kim Hagen, Oklahoma State
- Olivia Kmitta, Oklahoma State
- Kelly Hurley, Southeast Missouri State
- Leah Schumacher, Southeast Missouri State
- Allison Azmy, St. Louis Community College
- Jake Padgett, State Technical College of Missouri
- Landon Williams, State Technical College of Missouri
- Daniel Marler, Central Missouri
- Christina Sperry, Central Missiour
- Shannon Casey, Nebraska- Lincoln
- Makaela Franzen, Nebraska- Lincoln
- Kelsey Tarrell, Nebraska-Lincoln
The WNLA Student Volunteer program was established in 2018 and in 2019 is expanding to include 9 of the top students in the 5-state region.
Volunteering at the 2019 Western
- Grant Hughes, Iowa State
- Renata Goossen, Kansas State
- Clair Barnhart, Kansas State
- Blake Kruse, Oklahoma State
- Phoebe Austerman, Oklahoma State
- MacKenzie Cejka, Oklahoma State
- Katherine Ward, St. Louis Community College
- Jessica Mantel, University of Missouri
Thanks to the following companies for sponsoring the 2019 Student Advisory Committee and Student Volunteers:
Greenscape Gardens - 2 students
Family Tree Nursery - 2 students
Hillermann Nursery & Florist
Royal Creations Landscaping
Randy's Lawn Service